Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Power of SPOGG

Scott wrote to us about two years ago, lamenting a Massachusetts road sign that said "for safety sake."

Here's our original post on the subject.

Here's the update:

I must apologize for the delay in my thanking you for your response to my question about a punctuation error on Massachusetts roadside signs (SPOGG blog: "Massachusetts vs. Shakespeare," June 5, 2006), but at the same time I am thrilled to report that the error has been corrected. As documented by the attached photo, the missing apostrophe and "s" have been restored to the sign, which now reads, correctly, "for safety's sake."

Armed with this circumstantial evidence, I have concluded that the corrective power of SPOGG may have played a role in improving at least this one corner of the world. While I'm sure we can all understand the desire to become grammar vigilantes, I'm glad SPOGG exists as an oasis of order in a world in need of proofreading.

We have no evidence whatsoever that SPOGG's sincere efforts made a difference. But hey! They couldn't have hurt. Perhaps that should be our unofficial motto: We Might Not Help, But at Least We Don't Hurt.

No comments: