Monday, February 22, 2010

New Rule for Quotation Marks

We invented this rule after a friend showed us the menu at a local burger joint.

You'll have to click to see the larger view, but the restaurant's motto is this: We use the freshest and highest quality ingredients to make sure our "burgers" taste great.

The new rule: No putting quotations around meat, unless the ingredients are not actually meat. And if that is the case, please do not feed it to us. Faux meat is as scary as misused quotation marks. Eek!

9 comments:

Adam said...

Reminds me of the place in Moclips I saw this weekend with a sign boasting their "world famous" hot dogs.

I suppose there's a case to be made for this being truth in advertising, but I'd be surprised if they meant it that way.

Janet Lee Carey said...

Yikes! What are people comsuming? Our "burgers" are made of . . .

Janet Lee Carey said...

Oops! I meant consuming not comsuming whatever that is.

Sharon said...

This whole thread reminds me of the episode of Friends when Joey was learning how to use air quotation marks. (Look it up if you haven't seen it. It's hilarious.)

And yes, Martha, excellent new rule. I think it should be expanded to other (edible or inedible) objects: jewelry, for example. Lord knows I'd say no if a guy proposed to me with a "diamond" ring.

Stan said...

Anyone for "meat"? How about "eggs"?

Cuppa Jolie said...

So agree!!! But now I want a burger (hold the quotation marks).

Mark Allen said...

I looked at a friend's new menu this morning and pointed out that there is no apostrophe in PIZZAS. I have done my good deed for the day.

Stasia said...

I'm pretty sure I don't want to eat there already, regardless of the content of their "meat." Suddenly feeling like chicken...

Anna S said...

There were more errors in the menu! Lack of an apostrophe in "This ones (sic) a favorite!" and all kinds of missing hyphens.